Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Opening: full time
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
The home health aide is a paraprofessional member of the home care team who works under the supervision of a registered nurse or therapist and performs various personal care services as necessary to meet the patient’s needs. The home health aide is responsible for observing patients, reporting these observations and documenting observations and care performed. The home health aide will be assigned in a manner that promotes quality, continuity and safety of a patient’s care.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS/RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsibilities of the home health aide include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Providing personal care including:
B. Back rubs
C. Oral hygiene
E. Changing bed linen
F. Assisting patients with dressing and undressing
G. Skin care to prevent breakdown
H. Assisting the patient with toileting activities
I. Keeping patient’s living area clean and orderly, as appropriate
2. Planning and preparing nutritious meals.
3. Assisting in feeding the patient, if necessary.
4. Taking and recording oral, rectal and axilliary temperatures, pulse, respiration and blood pressure when ordered (with appropriate completed/demonstrated skills competency).
5. Assisting in ambulation and exercise according to the plan of care.
6. Performing range of motion and other simple procedures as an extensional therapy service as ordered (with appropriate completed/demonstrated skills competency).
7. Assisting patient in the self-administration of medication.
8. Doing patient’s laundry, as appropriate.
9. Meeting safety needs of patients and using equipment safely and properly (foot stools, side rails, etc.).
10. Reporting on patient’s condition and significant changes to the assigned nurse.
11. Adhering to the Organization’s documentation and care procedures and standards of personal and professional conduct.
The above statements are only meant to be a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job related tasks other than those stated in this description.
1. Meets the training requirements in accordance with state and federal laws.
2. At least 18 years of age.
3. Ability to read and follow written instructions and document care given.
4. Self-directing with the ability to work with little direct supervision.
5. Empathy for the needs of the ill, injured, frail and the impaired.
6. Possess and maintains current CPR certification.
7. Demonstrates tact, patience and good personal hygiene.
8. Licensed driver with automobile that is insured in accordance with Organization requirements and is in good working order.
The home health aide will not function in any manner viewed as the practice of nursing according to the state’s Nurse Practice Act. Specifically, the home health aide will not administer medications, take physician’s orders or perform procedures requiring the training, knowledge and skill of a nurse, such as sterile techniques.
To complete an online application, click here.